Sunday, December 25, 2011

Baja Sonora (almost Bixby Knolls)

Hi Everyone! Don't say I never gave you anything for Christmas! Today, for your holiday pleasure I am giving you not one, but two awesome Christmas reviews! First on the docket is Baja Sonora on Atlantic which is technically not Bixby Knolls, but is on Atlantic past the 405 in Long Beach.

Natalie and I were Christmas shopping and we decided that we needed to get some food. We ended up going to Baja Sonora for dinner. We walked through the door and the restaurant was fairly full. We walked up to the counter but could not see the menu. . .Oops! The Menu is on the wall to the right of the register which is kind of a weird place for a menu.

We were both pretty hungry and I ordered a little more than normal so natalie could have some of my leftovers for her lunch the next day. I had a bean and cheese burrito with rice and beans, which came covered in red sauce. I also ordered the two potato taco plate which also came with rice and beans. In addition to all the food I ordered a soft drink and we hit the chips and salsa bar. Everything started all right:)

We ended up grabbing a seat in the main dinning area and I got some Orange Bang! and it was really creamy and good. I don't think I've ever had better, so there was an awesome plus for Baja Sonora! Natalie grabbed the chips and salsa. The chips were fully fried corn tortillas. I've always found this to be the laziest way to serve chips. I don't particularly care to break the chips myself, and there is always broken chip fragments left over that you can't eat. The salsa was also bland and lifeless. Seriously I almost started CPR, no flavor and runny like water. The Salsa Verde was better, but I wasn't thrilled.

Our food came out and I got a refill of Orange Bang! I decided to dig into the burrito first. Unfortunately another bland food item. The burrito was so plain that I was compelled to stop after a few bites. The beans were okay, but the rice was bland too! What a let down! The red sauce was everywhere and it wasn't very good. If I could describe the flavor, it was like water with too much paprika. I didn't even bother eating the tacos because I was hoping that they would be better than the burrito and Natalie could at least have a good lunch the next day.

They had a sign on the wall that said they were rated the best catering company of Long Beach. I really had to wonder who would cater from them with the quality of their food being so bad. We left and took a few mints to get the taste of Baja Sonora out of our mouths.

Spin it again!
Value: The portion size was good, the prices were average, the atmosphere was okay but the food was awful. I hate to say it but I think with food that bad the value goes way down. Haven't had food that bad in a while. 2 out of 5 Stars.
Food Quality: Portions were good, the food was bad. The only redeeming quality was the Orange Bang! If this food were to fall on the ground I would leave it there. . . 1 second rating. Which gives Baja Sonora the first ever one second rating.
Category: Pretty Generic Fast Casual Mexican Style Restaurant. 5 out f 10. Nothing really spoke to me to weed itself out of the pack of every other americanized fast casual Mexican food shack.

Recap. . .
Value: 2 Stars (out of 5)
FQ: 1 Second (Out of 10)
Category: 5 out of 10. Nothing Special, right down the middle.

So, if you want a good meal for a great price, do not go to Baja Sonora.

Cheers!
Troy@BonVivant

Baja Sonora
3502 Atlantic Avenue
Long Beach
(562) 981-1950

No comments:

Post a Comment