Thursday, December 22, 2011

Miguel's (Corono, CA)

Hi everyone! We it has been one crazy December so far. I have many new restaurants to post for you, but I have been so busy that I really haven't had time to do anything. The first thing I have to say is thank you to everyone who has been reading this blog. I have actually made a little money writing for you, so my thanks go out to you all!
     So, I don't normally go out to a sit-down restaurant alone, but recently I was taking a class in Corona California and I had a lunch break. The class was right next door to Miguel's Restaurant, so I thought I would go in and have some lunch.
Miguel's Mexican Food Restaurant
I have never eaten at a Miguel's but I have driven past them from time to time and I was exited to try something new. This Miguel's has a really nice Spanish style fountain in the courtyard entryway and large double doors with a Spanish/Mexican feel to the architecture include the red roofed tiles. I walked through the door and was greeted by a young woman in a traditional Mexican Style Dress. She asked if I was dining alone and I told her I was. I inquired about bar seating, since I knew that it would be a little quicker and I could watch whatever was on the TVs. She told me it was open and I wandered into the bar and sat at a table for four right in the middle of the bar area. My server (the bartender) greeted me upon sitting, handed me a menu and brought my dink order within minutes. It was fantastic service. I looked over the menu and was stuck. I had to choose between the shrimp tacos (rice and beans) or the fajitas, so I thought I would put my waiter to the test. I asked him which he would recommend. Mind you that the shrimp tacos were $12 and the Fajitas were $14. There is a quality about a waiter who is honest even if the sale would bring more money to the restaurant or to him. He told me both were very good, but that he personally did not like shrimp. He then told me that if I was a shrimp person then I would probably enjoy them the most as most of his customers loved the shrimp tacos. I went with his suggestion and ordered the Shrimp Tacos.
Shrimp Tacos, Rice and Beans with Chips and Homemade Salsa
My food came out very fast. The plate was overflowing with food. As I do love to eat I was very happy to see all the shrimp (3 per taco) and the rice and beans. So, not wasting any time I jumped right in and before long my food was all gone! The Shrimp tacos were really good. The beans were perfect, not a huge fan of enchilada sauce on the rice, but to give it a little credit it was mild and not too bad. I paid for my meal and left a decent tip. I had my drink refilled twice and he was very prompt, courteous and genuinely seemed to care about his customer. If I get the chance I would definitely come back to this location again!

Give Us Da' Break Down!
Miguel's was not a high-end restaurant and the food was very simple but I felt it was a decent value. I'm never sure about a two taco plate for $12, but Miguel's makes up for the cost with excellent service, Good chips and salsa (which is a must!) and a pleasant atmosphere. I did not need to use the bathroom during my visit, so I can't comment on the cleanliness, but from what I saw the restaurant was very clean and nice. The portion was of ample size, and the bonus was three shrimp per taco and not two like some places. I give it 4 out of 5 Stars for value.
For Food Quality there was no doubt that the shrimp tacos were good, the beans and the rice were a nice complement. Like I said, I'm not a huge fan of enchilada sauce on my rice, but it wasn't bad and I understand trying to do something different for customers who have been eating American Style Mexican food for years! Portion was great and I had a refill on my chips at no cost. The salsa (homemade) was a bit thin and runny, but all in all a good food experience! I'll give it 7 Seconds!
Category: Miguel's is a Mexican Restaurant, so there are some things that one expects to see, like the red tiled roof and spanish style tile throughout. There was also the really nice dark rich tile floors and the bar was mostly wood and classic surfaces. All the staff wore a form of Stereotypical Spanish/Mexican Dress. To top things off, the TV had a Soccer match in Spanish. If you want the stereotypical Mexican/American restaurant come to Miguel's, 10 out of 10!

One More for the books. . . Tell us what we've won!
Value: I'd Come Back! 4 out of 5 Stars
FQ: Happy Camper, 7 Seconds.
Category: 10 out of 10. Reminds me of Arizona:)

Thanks for Helping Me Keep This Going!

Cheers!
Troy@BonVivant

Miguel's Mexican Restaurant
1920 West Frontage Road  
Corona, CA 92882
(951) 520-8911


No comments:

Post a Comment