Friday, November 18, 2011

Le Creperie (Pine Ave Long Beach)


           Hello my dear friends and fellow foodies! Today I will let you into the mind of your second favorite food critic. I’m not sure who your first favorite is, but its best to be safe and humble. What is important to me is that you go to these places, try the food and then tell them you heard about their restaurant on my blog!

            So in that spirit, I am going to review the restaurant that started it all. You see, we were eating at Le Creperie on Pine street when the most amazing desert came out. I ate and died! It was so good. I took a photo and sent it out over Facebook. Not but a few days later Natalie was having a conversation with some of her co-workers and one of them suggested I create a blog about the places we ate and that I would be a good food critic. So, here we are, back at Le Creperie for a second round, just to make sure it lived up to the memories!

            One of the best things about living downtown in a large city is the close proximity to places. We walked one block to the $1 a night parking lot (5p-7a) to meet Nick and Lisa, Natalie’s brother and mom. From there we walked the three blocks to Le Creperie. Not knowing how crowded the Restaurant would be on a Friday night I had called ahead and made reservations. We were promptly greeted and seated and our waiter came out to take our drink order. She was on it. I delayed my selection so I could pick out the perfect beer to compliment my dinner. Last time around I ordered a “course”, which is four 4oz. bears for $11. It is a great value, but I ended up ordering beers that were not complimentary to what I ate. I was determined to order something that made my dinner even better. Our waitress brought out the drinks. Le Creperie has an amazing selection of beers from all over the world, plus a full service bar and a great wine selection. They really took their time in selecting the best choices in each category. My dad was disappointed that they did not have Natural Light, I’m being completely serious, but he settled for a Budweiser and was happy.

Depollo! Mmmmm Good!
            Everyone was so intent on getting their crepes that we did not order an appetizer. Three people ordered the Carbonara, a delicious grilled chicken breast in a light garlic parmesan cream sauce with pesto and bacon. This was the dish I ordered the first visit so I wanted to try something new, but I knew they were in for a treat. Two ordered the French Riviera (chicken breast, artichoke hearts, tomatoes and mozzarella cheese with a sherry cream sauce) and my mom and I ordered the Dipollo. Being that we live in SoCal, I believe they pronounce it De-Poyyo like it would be in Spanish, but in France I have a feeling it would be De-Polo. Either way, the crepe is a blend of fresh wild mushrooms and herbs in a sherry cream sauce. You can chose chicken, ham or turkey and I went with the chicken. I also had selected my beer. I decided on an Eclipse. For those of you who are not beer snobs, an Eclipse is a Blue Moon (a Belgian Wit) topped with half a pint of Guinness (Irish Stout). The combination is not as heavy as a dark beer and has the fresh crispness of the Belgian Wit. It was the perfect beer for the Depollo. I tell you, we were not disappointed. Those crepes were gone by the time I looked up from my plate.

            For our final course we ordered some Sweet Crepes. Most of us were pretty full so we decided to only order three for the table. Natalie swore by the Chocolate Chocolate (chocolate crepe with Nutella, strawberries, vanilla ice-cream and whip cream), Lisa wanted the Nepoleon (strawberries, vanilla crème brulee custard and a carmelized crust, vanilla ice-cream and whip cream) and the final selection was put in by Courtney who ordered the Latin lover (nutella, lots of bananas, vanilla ice-cream and whip cream). We all dug in. Here’s where I experienced my first issue of the evening. I ended up eating mostly the one I didn’t like. It had nothing to do with the crepe, I’m just not a huge fan of bananas on or in my deserts. My Mom monopolized the Chocolate Chocolate, which I should have known was going to happen, she loves her chocolate. It was not a big deal, as everyone enjoyed their evening and Natalie and I were championed for how good Le Creperie was.

Le Ratings:
Value: Portion to price is very comparable and I’ve always left feeling very full. The restaurant is the spitting image of cleanliness and the ambiance and décor are awesome. I was a little disappointed by the live music. The performers were singing out of key and they were sorely educated on how to use their Bose sound system. If you are going to spend $3000 on music equipment, please learn how to use it in every room. The service is very friendly, although at one point in our meal someone at our table (who will remain unmentioned) asked if all the male waiters were homosexual. I said it was possible, but asked why they thought so. They responded with, all their shirts have sparkles and are tight. Thought that was a funny tid-bit. To top it all off, Le Creperie has some of the nicest restrooms I have ever been in and they were spotless! Let’s give Le Creperie 5 Stars!
Food Quality: Yummy! I have yet to be disappointed. The food is delicious and worth the money. It comes out super fast and doesn’t stay on the plate long. It’s not inexpensive, but worth the price. . . 9 seconds.
Category: They call themselves a Bohemian Café, which is all well and good until you notice all the TV’s throughout. It is truly sad that everyone feels that there must be a TV in every corner of every restaurant. It is the rare case that we go anywhere that doesn’t have TV’s everywhere. I will comment on the awesome arch near the back of the building. It is lit from within and the blue glass marbles light up so wonderfully. I really enjoyed sitting near it. Bohemian Café or not I give Le Creperie a 7 out of 10.

Le Summary (Sorry about all the bad French!)
Value: 5 Stars (Out of 5)
FQ: 9 Seconds (out of 10)
Category: 7 (out of 10)

P.S. They also have locations on Second Street in Belmont Shores and a location in Chino Hills!
Cheers!
Troy@BonVivant

Le Creperie Café
130 Pine Ave
Long Beach, CA 90802
562-437-8648

No comments:

Post a Comment