Monday, November 7, 2011

Sushi Wok (Laguna Woods)

Boy, what a week! Normally we eat out once a week, but this week we were going to eat out four times! Hooray! The third restaurant this week was Sushi Wok in Laguna Woods. We were down in south Orange County celebrating the birthdays of two of Natalie's family members, cousin Jay and Aunt Pam.

We all agreed to go out to dinner at a Chinese/Japanese food place that Jay and his girlfriend Leslie really enjoyed called Sushi Wok. It was a short drive from their house we found it easily even though it was tucked away in a strip mall. We entered and upon inspection, the sushi bar area was on the left and the dinning room on the right. The staff recognized Jay and Leslie and we were seated promptly. They both commented on how busy the restaurant was and that they had never seen it that full. We were a party of eight and there were two other parties, one of fourteen and another of eight plus the small tables with two, three or four.

The two waiters were running around like crazy, trying to accommodate the parties and we were left in the lurch. It took ten minutes to get our drink order in and then another ten to get a food order in. I can't begin to tell you how excited I was because I never get to eat sushi! Natalie is not particularly fond of sushi and I don't really care enough to go eat it alone, so this was a golden opportunity and she told me to go for it!

Leslie order two servings of Won Ton soup for the group. It was delicious. I was nursing my Kirin Ichiban Tall through the soup and the first plate of Appetizers, some tempura shrimp, egg rolls and cream cheese wantons. There was some conversation at the table about how most of the table had never had cream cheese Wantons. I was a little surprised.

Then the food started coming out. Let me explain what I ordered:
1 Crunchy Roll, which is a California Roll covered in Crunchy Tempura (a fried batter)
1 California Roll, shrimp or crab with avocado, carrot, cucumber and white rice wrapped in seaweed
1 Dragon Roll, Crab with avocado and rice topped with Unagi (Fresh Water Eel)
1 Double Shrimp Roll, Like a California Roll with Shrimp on top and shrimp in the middle
1 Spider Roll, Crab, white rice with seaweed and a spicy sauce
1 Cucumber Roll, Cucumber, Carrots, white rice wrapped in seaweed

If you are not a fun of uncooked foods, all of my rolls would have been ok. California Law says they have to cook Shrimp and Crab, so nothing I ordered was raw.

All the rolls came out except the Cucumber roll, which they forgot, but took off the bill. It was all amazing and the food was enjoyed by everyone. Our waitress kept telling us how we couldn't eat all the food we ordered, to which Natalie responded with gusto, taking it as a challenge! I ate more than I should have, and I almost had to be rolled to the car. Plus the three Kirin Ichiban Tall Beers. I was full like I've rarely been before. Sushi can be really expensive and I was prepared to shell out a hefty sum, but Jay beat us all to the punch paying before we even got to the restaurant!

Value: Like I said before Sushi is an expensive night out, easily costing $100 between two people which I have done before you even add drinks. The prices seemed average for the sushi. The Chinese food portions which some at the table ordered seemed a bit small. The service was painfully slow, but if they were busier than they've ever been I'll cut them some slack. They were polite and cordial. The men's room was not that clean with urine all over the floor. So, for value I give it 3 Stars.
Food Quality: The food was really good. The Spider roll and the Double Shrimp Roll were particularly tasty! Everyone commented on how good the food was and I personally ate way past being full, so I think it deserves a high rating. Let's Say 8 Seconds. I was very happy with the quality of the food!
Category: Sushi/Asian Food Restaurant. It was Asian style to the core. Behind the Sushi bar was a small Sushi Chef with a big knife. Good atmosphere, but the bathroom had weird Andy Warhol Prints that seemed very out of place. I mean, I like Andy as much as the next post modern art critic, but in a Sushi restaurant? 7/10.

Let all be warned, this was the earliest that Jay and Leslie had ever come to Sushi Wok. The restaurant is located in the heart of a giant retirement Community called Laguna Woods. It was packed to the gills with Senior and their canes and walkers. If you are 25-35 go after 7p, when the restaurant clears out.

All said, great food and a fun time. The aftermath is the proof!

Sushi Wok. . . Yum Yum!
Value: 3 Stars (Out of 5)
FQ: 8 Seconds (Out of 10)
Category: Sushi/Asian Food Restaurant 7/10

Cheers!
Troy@BonVivant

Sushi Wok
24371 El Toro Rd # D, 
Laguna Woods, CA
(949) 595-0808 


No comments:

Post a Comment