Monday, November 14, 2011

Ohana Bread Crumb Cafe (Huntington Beach)

Ohana or just "Bread Crumb" to the Locals
Hello Everyone! So I am taking a break from looking for gainful employment to write this food blog! I recently went to the Ohana Bread Crumb Cafe with my sister Courtney. This is a place I have been going to for years and I just recently went back and now I get to write about it. For the record this is a HB Local favorite and can sometimes get bogged down with customers. If you decide to go on a Saturday or Sunday morning expect a minimum thirty minute wait. Luckily for Courtney and myself we went on a Thursday mid morning and found plenty of empty tables. We were seated promptly by the guy that is always there. If you've been there you know exactly who I mean. He is the friendly gentleman that calls everyone "buddy", as in "OK Buddy?" or my personal favorite "Here you go Buddy".

We sat at a table by the cash register wall. One of the things I love about Ohana is that they are family owned and you know the people working there. Most restaurants have such a high turnover, but Ohana has had the same people working there for years. Feels like home which is why Ohana is such an appropriate name (Ohana means Family in Hawaiian).

Now to be honest I did not venture to try anything new on this trip. I ordered my favorite, the Hawaiian omelet with hash browns and toast.
The Hawaiian is an amazing blend of eggs, ham, pineapple, brown sugar and maple syrup, topped with a healthy dollop of sour cream. I'm also a big fan of the sourdough toast. The food comes out so fast that it feels like that have it ready for you, even on busy days. The menu is simple and easy to prepare which means you almost never wait for food at Ohana. All the drinks are served in mason jars and the refills are bottomless for that thirsty person in the group. You can sit inside or outside on the patio and there is always plenty of parking.

The food was awesome (as usual) and both my sister and I were glad we drove for breakfast (hour round trip). Our total bill was $24 with tip (18%). Great cost for the quantity and quality of food.

A couple of tid-bits. For some reason people have a hard time finding Ohana. It is on the Southwest corner of Beach blvd and Garfield, in the corner of the strip mall on the Stein Mart Side. Also, the bathrooms are a bit weird since they are located in the back through the kitchen. To access them you have to go outside and enter through the back of the kitchen. They are always clean and well maintained, but it feels weird to go in the back door of a restaurant. Just another way it feels like home!

The Ratings!
Value: Ohana has some of the best value for a breakfast place that I've been too. The food portions are huge (as you can see by my photo) and the service is awesome. The restaurant is clean and always hopping! I am proud to give Ohana Bread Crumb Cafe my first 5 Star for Value!
Food Quality: The food here always tastes amazing, which is why I keep coming back. I've never been disappointed with any of their breakfast items. Killer portions and great beverage service (I love the mason jars!) I think Ohana gets a rating of 10 Seconds!
Category: Although it is called a Cafe, Ohana is really only a breakfast restaurant. They are open from 7 am to 3 pm everyday, but their main items are breakfast foods (although they do serve some lunch items). They have a fun, surf/hawaiian motif with a little edge, on of the family members is a big MMA guy and he has some advertising up for a training gym in HB. I give Ohana 8 out of 10 for breakfast category. The MMA stuff is a little out of place, but don't let it deter you from this amazing eating experience!

The Wrap Up!
Value: 5 Stars! (Out of Five)
FQ: 10 Seconds (No Better Breakfast Food Out There)
Category: Breakfast Cafe 8 out of 10

Go Eat at Ohana and tell them you read that they were amazing on this blog!

Cheers!
Troy@BonVivant

Ohana Bread Crumb Cafe

19079 Beach Blvd
Huntington BeachCA 92648
(714) 960-5051

No comments:

Post a Comment