Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Rockin' Baja Lobster (Huntington Beach Bella Terra)

Hello my foodie friends! I hope this "flog" finds you all in good spirits getting ready for the Thanksgiving Holiday which is quickly approaching. I have to write this one quickly, because I'm going to try a Long Beach staple tonight with Natalie. We're going to Nino's in Bixby Knolls for date night. I will write more about that later!

So, for those of you that know me, I am a lobster and shrimp lover. It is a taste that I have grown into and I just can't seem to get enough. I first went to Rockin' Baja Lobster at the Oceanside Location and I have been coming back ever since. Well, it was an awesome discovery when my wife told me that we had our own Rockin' Baja Lobster right in the Bella Terra. So, needless to say I have been quite a few times since it has come to Huntington Beach.

I picked Courtney up from the airport (she had just flown in from Australia) and she requested some Rockin' Baja! Courtney and I jumped into the car and met Natalie there. We sat in the main dining area and ordered a round of water. I got a Sprite and we ordered the Queso Fundido for our appetizer. One of the perks of Rockin' Baja is the chips and salsa bar. I love the salsa verde, but they also have a great mango salsa. Really all of their salsas are good, so try them all. As I looked over the menu I noticed they had taken one of my favorite items off the menu. . . The Lobster Bucket! Arrrrrgghhh! I had to order the Shrimp and Lobster bucket instead. Not a huge sacrifice, but you hate to go to one of your favorite places and find your favorite item gone. It reminds me of when Islands used to have Moku Sticks, the memories!

Our food came out quick. We had barely finished the queso fundido before the buckets were on the table. I am very particular about how I eat. Before I eat anything I peel my shrimp and lobster tails (slipper lobster tails are small) and then I enjoy with clean hands. So I peeled all my shrimp and lobster and was a little disappointed to find some of the smallest slipper tail lobsters I have ever seen. The bucket is served with beans and rice, three corn or flour tortillas and butter sauce. I gobbled up all my food and was rewarded by my sister with some of her shrimp that she was not going to eat! We cleared the table and Natalie got half of her burger boxed up and we left really full.

Rating Time. . .
Value: I like Rockin' Baja and enjoy the service, food and atmosphere. The Bella Terra location is a little more hoppin' but it is still a laid back feeling. The restaurant is clean and spacious with a dinning area, a separate bar area and a nice heated patio for those crisp HB nights. The cost of the food is reasonable but not a place for a budget meal. 4 Stars.
Food Quality: Normally I can say that Rockin' Baja is always tops, but the small slipper tail lobsters this trip bummed me out big time! I might have had the last of the lobster tails, but seriously I just paid $30 for that bucket give me some good ones! All the other food was awesome and the Salsa Verde was particularly spot on this evening! This trip gets a 8 Second Rating.
Category: This is a newer category in food, the Contemporary Mexican Seafood Restaurant. Rockin' Baja pulls it off better than most. Surfboards on the walls, and bright vibrant colors makes this dinning experience a memorable one:) 8 out of 10.

Round Up!
Value: 4 Stars (out of 5)
FQ: 8 Seconds (Out of 10)
Category: 8 (out of 10)

Go and reap the shrimp and lobstery goodness. . .

Cheers!
Troy@BonVivant

Rockin' Baja Lobster
7811 Edinger Ave., Suite 100
Huntington Beach, CA 92647

No comments:

Post a Comment